Wednesday, March 2, 2011

You Got Mojo




District Gallery is pleased to welcome Bozeman, Montana artist Pyper Hugos. 'Each of my designs are made using salvaged steel and aluminum, and are combined with sterling silver and found objects. Most of my work is made using salvaged automotive steel but I sometimes also use old signs, licenses plates, appliance metal, and even metal from an old airplane! When collecting metal to use to create my jewelry, I’m on the hunt for anything with great color on it. I do not paint the metal; all the original colors are retained. My goal when creating a piece is to focus on the metal and let its uniqueness shine through. Through this process it is important to me to incorporate imperfections of age along with natural colors and patinas of the metal. I believe that taking an object from our everyday lives, transforming its original form and function, can make a statement of great significance.'

No comments:

Post a Comment